- Ralph — Ralph Vierra Tavares (born December 10, 1941)
- Pooch — Arthur Paul Tavares (born November 12, 1943)
- Chubby — Antone Lee Tavares (born June 2, 1945)
- Butch — Feliciano Vierra Tavares, Jr. (born May 18, 1948)
- Tiny — Perry Lee Tavares (born October 24, 1949)
They performed in the 1960s as Chubby and the Turnpikes. In 1973 they became Tavares. Big hits in the U.S. but it was not until 1976 when they charted in the UK charts with Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel written by Freddie Perren who produced Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive.
The follow up hit was the classic floor filler on a Saturday Night called Dont Take Away The Music
In 1977 they had a minor hit with The Mighty Power Of Love and a top five hit with Whodunnit. The song mentioned many fictional detectives who were trying to solve this case of missing love. One detective mentioned was Kojak!
Two more hits followed in 1977, the first being a No. 16 hit called One Step Away. The next single was the big one and went on to appear in the film and the soundtrack of Saturday Night fever. It was the classic More Than A Woman. They won a Grammy for that song in 1979.